About Our Program
Rtadhavaja Swami’s Summer Trip program started in 1992 and has been carried on by the efforts of his former students since 2005. They have continued to apply everything he taught them and strive to improve and expand their program to give boys an enjoyable Krishna Conscious experience. By traveling, visiting temples and Ratha Yatras, creating long lasting friendships, and developing not only moral, but also spiritual character, the legacy will continue for a new generation.
The organizers are Krsna Priya das, Dattatreya das, Krsna Kishor das, and Sugosh das. All are accomplished devotees within our ISKCON Society. The organizers began traveling with Rtdhavaja Swami in 1998 at the age of 12 and continued participating and helping organize until 2005. In 2005, Rtdhavaja Swami retired due to doctor’s orders only weeks before the 2005 Summer Trip was scheduled to begin. Having realized the impact of these trips on the lives of young boys and in honor of Maharaja, his students decided to continue and share the valuable knowledge and experience with a new generation.
The Boys Summer Trip is a five to six week trip that visits ISKCON Temples and Ratha Yatras around the United States and Canada. The program focuses on helping boys develop a Krsna Conscious identity and vaisnava qualities, building friendships, and providing opportunities for devotional service. The trip also engages in adventure activities such as camping, recreational games, and occasionally visiting theme parks.
- Morning Program - Greeting of the Deities, Gurupuja, japa
- Philosophy or (Bhagavatam Class if at a temple.)
- We have our own Summer Trip compilation of Vaisnava songs, prayers, and basic philosophy
- Daily Duties - Service at temples, preparing for Ratha yatra, or just general clean up
- Classes - Yoga, Sports, Chess, Mrdangam, Harmonium…
- Local attraction or activity – museums or science centers, swimming holes, local youth groups
- Group games or Down time
- Nightly ‘talks’ before bed – talk with boys about whatever they have on their minds
Classes, opportunities, and other activities
- Vaishnava philosophy and etiquette
- Morning program, prasadam, and tilak prayers
- Mrdangam, Harmonium, Kartalas (Krsna Kishor and Sugosh are expert musicians)
- Mayapur gurukula games, soccer, jui-jitsu, basketball, football, ultimate frisbee, chess.
- We visit many state and national parks and swim whenever possible.
- Sugosh is an amazingly gifted cook and boys will have the opportunity to learn from him.
- And much much more
Other information about the Summer Trip:
- We have a daily morning program.
- We visit many temples and ratha-yatras. We do service and help out whenever and wherever we are needed.
- Boys will learn and perform a bhajan for the pleasure of devotees.
- There are a variety of boys that attend the Summer Trip. Boys should be prepared to make lots of friends from many different backgrounds.
- Laundry is included in the tour fee and we do laundry at least once a week.
- Boys are allowed to buy souvenirs and prasadam at festivals.
- In general no junk food, but if boys wish to buy anything else such as ice cream or soda, they must buy for all the boys.
- We have a salad with every meal. Boys should finish their plates.
Rules of the Summer Trip:
- Follow the four regulative principles.
- Chant a prescribed number of rounds daily (set by the boy at the onset of the trip).
- Wear devotional attire at all spiritual functions, and at other times conservative dress.
- Avoid unauthorized association with the opposite sex.
- Turn spending money into group leader to avoid frivolous spending.
- Avoid improper language, fighting, or engage in any illegal activities (stealing..ect).
- Refrain from playing mundane music or video/computer games.
- Agree to maintain a conservative haircut (buzzed up with a # 2 shaving attachment and keep a sika).
- Have a positive attitude and strive for excellence in everything.
- Always consider others first.